Groovy Goggle Lowdown: Tips to Help You Pick the Perfect Swim Goggles
There’s nothing more irritating than the sting of chlorine in the eyes, but equally as painful can be the bump of the head on a pool wall because your eyes were closed! Face it – if you own a pool or are a frequent swimmer, goggles are some of the most important accessories. Here are some helpful tips when looking for the perfect pair to befriend your eyes underwater:
- Fit is most important – Leaky goggles defeat the purpose. Try a press-on fit: If the goggles stay on without the strap for several seconds, they should be good.
- Comfort is key. The centerpiece (over the nose) should never feel odd or cut into the bridge of your nose. Goggles should also “feel” good on the eyes without a strap. Foam lining is great for creating a seal and providing a cushion around the edges of the goggle.
- Proper tint and UV protection shield your eyes. Dark colored or mirrored goggles are good for bright areas, while clear or lightly colored are better for dim or indoor use. UV protection will safeguard your eyes when they are being used outdoors.
- Remember to also consider some “overlooked” features such as fog-resistant, hypoallergenic or prescription goggles. In addition, safety should also be a high priority, so look for shatter-proof goggles as well.
- Keep in mind that children will lose goggles more frequently, especially when heading to friends’ pools and swimming lessons. Try not to spend a fortune on a professional-quality brand of goggles for children unless you are confident they (or you) can keep track of them.
There are literally hundreds of brands of goggles that you can choose from. Different sizes, styles and other features can make choosing goggles a hassle. It doesn’t have to be if you follow the guidelines above when selecting a pair for yourself or anyone in your family.
Stop by one of our 5 convenient locations for more help!